Summit on Academic Freedom and Academic Autonomy
Tuesday, November 27, 2018 —
5pm, Tuesday 4 December 2018
Keynote address delivered by Professor Glyn Davis AC
China in the World, Building #188, Fellows Lane, ANU
8.30am - 4.30pm, Wednesday 5 December 2018
University House, 1 Balmain Crescent, ANU
Freedom of speech has become a topic of significant public interest and its application in universities is now the subject of an inquiry by the Australian Government. The surrounding debate, however, lacks nuance and conflates freedom of speech with academic freedom while excluding discussion of academic autonomy and integrity.
Key themes to be explored include the relationship between academic freedom and freedom of speech, the major threats to academic freedom and how universities should protect academic autonomy and research.
Speakers will include:
- Professor the Hon Gareth Evans AC QC, ANU Chancellor;
- Mr Gary Humphries, Deputy President of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal;
- Professor Adrienne Stone, Director of the Centre for Comparative Constitutional Studies, University of Melbourne;
- Professor the Hon Carmen Lawrence, Faculty of Science University of Western Australia;
- Ms Helen Trinca, Managing Editor, The Australian.
The summit will be chaired by Professor Mike Calford, ANU Provost and co-chaired by Professor Jacqueline Lo, ANU Academic Board Chair and Jane O'Dwyer, Vice President (Engagement and Corporate Affairs).
RSVP and Enquiries E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 6125 0129